   Re: XHTML DTDs failing in IE5

  • From: Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Mark Birbeck <Mark.Birbeck@iedigital.net>, "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 15:04:04 +0100 (BST)

> Any comments? Is IE5 at fault, or is it true that xmlns should be
> #FIXED, and so the DTDs are incorrect?

The Namespaces recommendation does not require it; Microsoft have
decided that it does not make sense to allow a declared element type
to be used to refer to elements in different namespaces, and they
enforce this by requiring xmlns attributes to be declared as #FIXED.

Furthermore, they do not allow you to declare prefixed element types
or attributes unless you also declare an xmlns attribute for the
prefix.  This is also not in the standard.

Andrew Layman posted a message about this a couple of weeks ago; it's
archived as

  http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-May-1999/0394.html

He points out:

  if you want to use the DTD to validate an instance, you must use
  exactly the same prefixes in the instance as were used in the DTD.

This is true, but it doesn't seem to me to be a good reason to reject
namespace-conformant documents.

-- Richard

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest