   RE: ANN: DocZilla Alpha 2 for WinNT/95/98 and Linux

  • From: "Heikki Toivonen" <heikki@citec.fi>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 18:01:32 +0300

> I'll have to reread the Mozilla Public License, but I don't think that
> there's anything to prevent a closed-source, commercial product from
> embedded Mozilla, as long as any changes to the Mozilla code itself
> are made public.

Actually not "public public". The license says you must make Modifications
available in source form to the users of your product. One common
misunderstanding about the NPL is that you should give the source back to
Netscape. That is not true (unless NS happens to use your product).

Because you are only required to make Modifications available you can hide
the bulk of your code in modules you do not need to disclose. You will just
need simple hooks in the mainline code.

--
  Heikki Toivonen
  http://www.doczilla.com