   Re: RE: Posting Data Islands

  • From: "Steve Muench" <SMUENCH@us.oracle.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: 07 Jun 99 07:23:02 -0700

I don't quite understand the comment about replacing
a named temporary buffer for XML sent to me from a server
by a namespace, but here's an example of posting an
XML data island to a server:

function postTextAreaXMLToServer() {
   // Get a new XML Document (these 3 lines not required if
   // "doc" was already the name of an XML Data Island
   // in the page). In my example I let the user type in
   // an XML document in a TEXTAREA on the form whose
   // name="toSend". doc.loadXML() loads raw text and parses
   // it as an XML document.
   var doc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");
   doc.async = false;
   doc.loadXML(toSend.value);

   // Get an instance of the HTTP Request/Response Object
   var msg = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");

   // Open an HTTP message to define its characteristics
   msg.open("POST","http://smuench-lap/echoxml.jsp",false);

   // Send the "doc" XML Document (/Data Island)
   msg.send(doc);

   // Interpret the response. In this case my server JSP page
   // parses the sent XML file and sends back the same XML
   // file as a "text/xml" mimetype (an echo test).
   toReceive.value = msg.responseXML.documentElement.xml;
}

See:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/reference/scriptref/XMLHttpRequest_object.asp

For complete details...

Steve Muench, Consulting Product Manager & XML Evangelist
Business Components for Java Dev't Team
http://www.oracle.com/xml