   RE: Posting Data Islands

  • From: "Hunter, David" <dhunter@Mobility.com>
  • To: 'David Megginson' <david@megginson.com>, XML development <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 15:10:42 -0400

Actually, on the project I'm working on right now data islands have been
exactly what we were looking for.  (Before, when we were using IE4, we
hacked up the same thing by using a hidden div.)  I'm afraid it would take a
huge email to explain WHY we love data islands so much, but suffice it to
say that sometimes it's helpful to have some information embedded in the
page that your application can read.

As for the *syntax* of that data island, I don't really have a preference
one way or the other.  So if it was

<xml id="myXMLIsland">
<blah/>
</xml>

or if it was

<object type="text/xml" id="myXMLIsland">
<blah/>
</object>

either one would be fine for me.  I'd prefer not to have to use the data
attribute, though, and link to a separate XML file.

David Hunter
david.hunter@mediaserv.com
MediaServ Information Architects
http://www.MediaServ.com