   [Fwd: Just require URLs]

  • From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:34:44 -0400

  • From: Andrew Layman <andrewl@microsoft.com>
  • To: "'John Cowan'" <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:30:53 -0700
My apologies.  I should absolutely have written "three" -- I was thinking of
the "other two."

The point of the wording was to respect that multiple URIs may reference the
same resource, and that the namespaces specification would not attempt to
define any equality of resources, merely saying that two namespace URIs are
identical if their characters are, and that if the characters are not
identical then all bets are off -- the namespace identified may or may not
be the same.  Two distiinct URIs might in fact identify the same namespace,
but within the facilities of the namespaces specification they would not be
known to do so.

I notice that you sent this to me privately.  I would not mind if you posted
this.