   RE: Just require URLs

  • From: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 23:31:33 -0400

This is certainly how I feel about it.
Dave Hollander seems to agree -- we are at the
XML Schema meeting in Ann Arbor.

At 11:06 AM 6/15/99 -0700, Andrew Layman wrote:
>I would like to add my endorsement to W. Eliot Kimber's mail of
>1999-06-01T021:53 titled "Re: Just require URLs" and which is apparently not
>in the archives.
>
>I'd like to add a parenthetical comment that I believe supports the thrust
>of his argument: Eliot wrote "If the true intent of the namespace mechanism
>is that the URI *is* the namespace (in the sense defined above), then they
>have to *disallow* resolution of the URI..." Of course, specifications are
>not people, so do not have intent literally, but as one of the two editors
>of the specification I can speak for my intent in the wording of the
>specification:  The URI identifies the namespace. That is, the specification
>very clearly does not require that a URI be resolvable, but neither does it
>forbid resolution.  The URI is an identifier; what other characteristics it
>may have are not part of the namespaces specification, including whether it
>is resolvable directly or can be used as part of process that ultimately
>resolves to a resource.
>
>Best wishes,
>Andrew Layman
>
>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
>Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN 981-02-3594-1
>To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message;
>(un)subscribe xml-dev
>To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message;
>subscribe xml-dev-digest
>List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)

Murray Maloney, Esq.          Phone: (905) 509-9120
Muzmo Communication Inc.      Fax:   (905) 509-8637
671 Cowan Circle              Email: murray@muzmo.com
Pickering, Ontario 		Web:   http://www.muzmo.com
Canada, L1W 3K6

(un)subscribe xml-dev