   RE: X-Schema

  • From: "Steven Livingstone, ITS, SENM" <steven.livingstone@scotent.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:13:16 +0100

I am relatively new to using the data schema's, but I immediately found them
much more aligned to the XML documents I was creating.
Don't get me wrong, neither are particulary difficult to use, but I like the
idea of describing all XML using an XML-based language.

For example, the chances are you shall write a lot more XML documents than
you will DTD/Schema for validation. I find it a lot easier to read Schema
validation than DTD.
Of course there is also the lack of typed attributes etc.. in DTD's.

Further down the line (and please correct me if I wrong)...

...would having an XML-based schema not give you the potential to create
schema from schema ?? So if you had something which require specific
validation using subsets of other validation schema, you could produce it by
combining parts from the two (dare I say using some equivalent to XSL) ??
Could you do this with DTD's ?

Rgds,
Steven

Join Association of Internet Professionals - http://www.citix.com/aip