   Re: Namespace URI address resources

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • To: "Mark Birbeck" <Mark.Birbeck@iedigital.net>,"'XML Dev'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 23:29:57 +1000

From: Mark Birbeck <Mark.Birbeck@iedigital.net>

>Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>> A schema is "processing" not "data": it is tied to whatever
>> applications
>> understand the schema format. Editing, creating and
>> validating against a
>> schema are all applications.
>
> As far as I can see, one point of the schema proposal is to
>be functionally equivalent to a DTD with a few obvious advantages, one
>of these being that if we get the definition right, each node can
>specify its own schema.

What you gain on the swing you lose on the roundabout. I have been using
Adobe's EDD system for several years for defining document structures:
it allows syntax directed editing of the schema, tree views, rich text
comments, nicely formatted direct export to HTML and PDF,  linking to
styles, pre- text and post-text and hard coding of flow objects (if you
want).  I like it, but I still prefer DTDs.

The XML Schema Structure draft was disappointing to me: DTD syntax is
given a great leap forward (i.e., superficial but nice)  from 70's
syntax (macros) to 80's syntax (objects) and a couple of things from
HyTime get twisted and added like a balloon poodle.

Rick Jelliffe

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)