   Re: Content Negotiation not enough for schemas (was Re: Namespace URI

  • From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk>
  • To: 'XML Dev' <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:38:47 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> In any case, the only resolution system currently around for URIs is
> content negotiation, which relies on all schemas being at the same
> location and being of different MIME types, as I understand it.
> What about when the schemas are on unrelated servers or use the
> same schema language or when you want the schemas available from
> local "file:" URLs?

for eg. a 'hub' server containing only data on the variant versions
could send HTTP 'moved temporarily/permenently' headers redirecting to
other servers. Much like the purl.org system for general web
indirection. I'd need to check the HTTP/1.1 spec to see if redirects can
be w.r.t. particular variants of a resource, but this sounds
feasible in principle.

Dan

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest