   Re: Storing application state as XML

  • From: "Steve Kearon" <stevek@fineline-software.co.uk>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 07:26:43 +0100

We went through the same process as you: having used MFC serlialization, XML
sounded like it had various advantages.

We adopted XML, but use an event-driven parser instead of the DOM. This has
the benefits of speed + code size. Being event-driven tends to force you
towards a one-pass process when reading the application state in - but
that's generally a good fit for serializing application state.

We simply stopped callng MFC's open/save CArchive stuff, and called our own
routines.

For input (which must be parsed), we use expat (from James Clark) built in a
DLL with a small C++ wrapper to make life easier. The wrapper class
represents an "add-in" to any class to make it XML-parsing capable. The
wrapper also permits one XML-parsing class to pass responsibility to another
class (ie I maintain a stack of handlers). This facilitates (eg) my <person>
element handler to pass control to a <address> element handler whenever it
spots an address. By and large, one class deals with one element type, but
that's not a hard and fast rule.

For output, we implemeted a simple output stream that formats element names,
formats various types of attributes, converts '<'  to literals, converts
from ANSI to utf8, etc.

Typically, a class name equates to an element, a class data member equates
to an attribute. We haven't (yet) used element content at all. Nothing
religious - it just never seemed appropriate.

When opening a file, we tolerate quite a lot (eg someone could add
attributes/elements that we'll ignore). To conserve file space, we normally
write files in "compact" mode, where only attributes that differ from the
default setting (ie the constructor initialised setting) get saved. This
saves oodles of disk space. A "verbose" mode is also available where
everythig gets saved.

There are alternatives to expat, but expat offers everything we need at
present. An alternate C++ wrapper class can be found at
http://www.oofile.com.au/

I'd be glad to go into details of this stuff (including sharing the code). I
suspect it would make a nice little article for somewhere like
www.codeguru.com, but (like most folk) I can never find the time.

Steve Kearon
FineLine Software