   Re: elements that split character data

  • From: "Simon North" <north@Synopsys.COM>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:43:50 +0200

Adrian Brogan asked:

> Can anyone give me a definitive answer to this scenario ?
>
> Consider the following xml
>
> <one>
>  This is some text
>  <two>
>   bulrb blurb blurb
>  </two>
>  and some more text.
> </one>
>
> Is the positioning of the character data in element <one> significant ?
> I.e. Would the following fragment of xml be considered the same as the one
> above ?
>
> <one>
>  This is some text
>  and some more text.
>  <two>
>   bulrb blurb blurb
>  </two>
> </one>

It's only my opinion, but I'd say there's not practical difference
since both versions can be covered by the same DTD declarations:

<!ELEMENT one	((#PCDATA | two)*)>
<!ELEMENT two	(#PCDATA)>

Unless I'm mistaken, you could enforce a difference in SGML but in
XML -- because of the enforced order of mixed content elements
(see the declaration of element one) -- you aren't allowed to declare
the distinction.

Simon North

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest