   Re: Nested DTDs

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: "Richard L. Goerwitz" <richard@goon.stg.brown.edu>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:53:39 -0700

At 10:30 AM 6/18/99 -0400, Richard L. Goerwitz wrote:
>I'm always wondering why all this "for interoperability" language is
>in the spec.  It's hard to know what weight to assign something that's
>neither legal nor illegal - or something that's technically valid, but
>discouraged in some usage contexts that aren't very clearly defined in
>the spec.

When XML was created, there was no XML software, but there was a considerable
array of existing SGML software.  If you follow all the for-interoperability
rules, your XML docs should work just fine with pre-1996 SGML software.
That's all.  I *think* that's what the spec says:

for interoperability
      [Definition:] A non-binding recommendation included to increase the
      chances that XML documents can be processed by the existing installed
      base of SGML processors which predate the WebSGML Adaptations Annex to
      ISO 8879.

-Tim

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest