   C++ is an Excellent XML development tool - Re: supporting unicode in XML

  • From: "Richard Anderson" <rja@arpsolutions.demon.co.uk>
  • To: "DuCharme, Robert" <DuCharmR@moodys.com>,"'Dirk Germonpre'" <dirkg@tectrade.be>,<xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 07:42:44 +0100

> It will be easier with Java. See Matthew Fuch's article "Why XML Is
> Meant for Java" at http://www.xml.com/xml/pub/1999/06/fuchs/fuchs.html
> for background.

That statement is not really true. Sure, if you've got a Java background it
might be easier, but the articles seems to gloss over any detailed
comparision of modern C++ XML tools likes IBMs and ours, or, langauges like
VB, which to a lesser degree I understand.

I think Java is great but..

Anybody with a C++ *will* find it easier using C++ tools and get the huge
performance benefits to boot.

In the MS world I live in mostly, VB *is* the easiest tool for XML
development unless this is complicated:

Dim xmlfile As DOMDocument
Dim contacts As DOMElement
Dim contact As DOMElement

Set xmlfile = New DOMDocument
Set contacts = xmlfile.createElement("Contacts")
xmlfile.appendChild contacts
xmlfile.save ("C:\test2.xml")

In C++ I just write this to create an XML document:

   DOMDocument *pDoc;
   pDoc = createDOMDocument();

   pText = pDoc->createElement( L"Contacts");
   pDoc>appendChild( pText );

   saveDOMDocumentToFile( pDoc,
                          L"simple_utf16.xml",
                          L"UTF-16" );
    pDoc->release();

Is that so hard for a C++ programmer ?

These code snippets are based on our products but the MS/IBM implementations
are bound to be as simple.

Just my 2$

Richard.
http://www.vivid-creations.com
Home of various cross-platform/langauge XML tools