   XSLT Question: using the starts-with() string function

  • From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:47:13 -0400

Hi folks,

I am having some trouble using XSLT's starts-with() string function.
Below is a snippet of some XML:

<location>
    ICAO: Boston
</location>
<location>
    LatLon: 74.31W, 106.5N
</location>

Note how the content of the <location> element either starts with ICAO
or with LatLon.

I would like to write a template rule for the <location> element
that checks to see what its content starts with.  If it starts with
ICAO then it should do one thing.  It is starts with LatLon it
should do another thing.  Here is my (failed) attempt at this template
rule:

<xsl:template match="location" >
    <xsl:if test="starts-with('./text()','ICAO')">
            <location_ICAO>
                <xsl:apply-templates/>
            </location_ICAO>
    </xsl:if>
    <xsl:if test="starts-with('./text()','LatLon')">
            <location_LatLon>
                <xsl:apply-templates/>
            </location_LatLon>
    </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

When I run this through James Clark's XT processor I get no output
for this template rule.  What am I doing wrong?

Also, I found that if I user the xsl:choose construct (rather than
the sequence of xsl:if statements) I get an "invalid token" error
message.  Anyone know that that's all about?

/Roger

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)