   RE: Web Resource Identity

  • From: Marc.McDonald@Design-Intelligence.com
  • To: paul@prescod.net
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:30:19 -0700

I read 'not required to' as 'can't be guaranteed to', therefore I can't
assume there will be data I can use to do an equality of content check
against.

If I design a system that assumes URIs refer to data in order to work, I
have violated the 'not required' rule. You always have to design for the
worst case.

Read it as 'can't assume there is any data referred to' so only the URI text
can be used to establish identity of 2 URIs.

Marc B McDonald
Principal Software Scientist
Design Intelligence, Inc
www.design-intelligence.com <http://www.design-intelligence.com>