   Re: Interoperability (was " Nested DTDs")

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:40:13 -0400

"DuCharme, Robert" wrote:

> >Hmm, except maybe the editor vendors - I noticed hastily-lettered
> >"XML" flags lashed to the masts of SoftQuad, ArborText, Stilo,
> >etc etc etc
>
> (and FrameMaker+SGML...)

It is not fair to include any of these products which required *changes*
to their parsers in order to accept XML. That certainly includes SQ and
ArborText and I'll bet Stilo. FrameMaker doesn't accept XML *yet* as far
as I know.

> Once we add Omnimark to this list of SGML
> tools, I think it shows that it *did* turn out to be the case.

Omnimark was actually the rare exception.

> but while these were being assembled from the
> ground up, many tools already used in large production systems were
> ready to hit the ground running with XML, and did.

I strongly agree that XML benefitted from the existence of SGML tools. I
do not, however, think that most of those tools really imported XML
directly. My experience was that you either had to filter it (and often
still do) or you had to get an upgrade to the product.
 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

[Woody Allen on Hollywood in "Annie Hall"]
Annie: "It's so clean down here."
Woody: "That's because they don't throw their garbage away. They make
        it into television shows."

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)