   RE: Identity

  • From: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:59:04 +0100

David Brownell wrote,
> John Cowan wrote:
> > What's hard is *determining* identity.
> Which I see as part of what "identity" is ...

If that's how you want to use the word 'identity', fine:
but it's not the way a lot of people use it. John's
using the term in a way which is *completely*
independent of anyones ability to establish whether or
not two descriptive expressions pick out one and the
same thing. That's quite a popular conception of
identity with philosophers (the sensible ones, not the
Foucaults and Derridas).

The trouble with an idea of identity that ties it up
with being able to tell whether two descriptions pick
out the same or different things is that it has the
unfortunate effect of relativising the idea to differing
abilities to pick out differences. Lois Lane belives
that Superman isn't the same person as Clark Kent. Clark
Kent presumably believes otherwise. Which one of those
two beliefs is true? On Johns view of identity we know
that there's an answer to this question (even if we
don't know what it is). What could we say on yours?

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                          Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect           5/6 Glenthorne Mews

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)