   Re: News.Com on XML over HTTP

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 08:15:12 -0700

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> At 02:54 PM 6/24/99 -0700, Dave Winer wrote:
> >http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,38355,00.html?st.ne.fd.gif.d

> I can't say this kind of program-to-program communication is what drew me
> in to XML (or keeps me here), but it's pretty impressive stuff.  I don't
> think XML messaging over HTTP is the answer to all problems or necessarily
> a replacement for CORBA, COM, and EJB, but it's a great answer for a large
> number of tasks.

It's why I got into XML -- I had a chance to see how folk were building
web applications (== an increasing percentage of all multi-user apps)
and noticed that XML+HTTP was an easier-to-use option, with better growth
paths, than most of the solutions that were getting rolled!

Moreover:  the Web acheived what at least one of the groups that created
CORBA (mine :-) was trying to achieve before the "RPC Wars" hijacked the
CORBA process.  (CDR... give me a break!)

I see the highly engineered RPC frameworks (CORBA, COM, RMI) as being
useful in niches, but not being as generally useful.  The 80/20 rule
applies, with the web hitting the bigger chunk and RPCs the smaller.

- Dave

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)