   Re: XML Editors - Word 2000??

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 21:21:36 -0400

Steven Livingstone wrote:

> Anyway, I am looking for an Editor as easy to use as Word, but allows you to
> work with XML without modification !!

Who isn't?

XML.com has a list of XML editors:

http://www.xml.com/xml/pub/pt/Authoring

I know for a fact that not all of them actually *support* XML but it seems
that SGML support is considered "close enough" for xml.com. I don't mind
that but I wish they would label the true XML supporters. The ones I know
to support XML are:

http://www.xml.com/xml/pub/p/Adept_Editor
http://www.xml.com/xml/pub/p/Documentor
http://www.xml.com/xml/pub/p/XMetaL

Also a few others on their list aren't supported or even sold anymore.

You will not find a tool that is "as easy to use as Word" out of the box.
Think of Word as an XML editor that only works with a single DTD. It has
been tweaked and honed to make editing with that DTD for many years. Now
imagine you pop a document according to your vocabulary into an XML
editor. It doesn't know what's a list item, it doesn't know what's a
paragraph, etc. You'll need to do a bunch of work to teach it all of that
stuff.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Software is largely a service industry operating under the persistent
but unfounded delusion that it is a manufacturing industry.
  -- Eric Raymond, "The Magic Cauldron: The Manufacturing Delusion"

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/magic-cauldron/magic-cauldron.html

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)