   Re: XML Editors - Word 2000??

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 12:57:43 +1000

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>

>Rick Jelliffe wrote:

>> Not to be contrarian, but I would love an XML editor that hid
structure
>> from me.
>
>But you go on to describe one that allows you to get at structure
>*through* style:

Yes, so "hid as much as possible" would have been better. To use style
attributes to cull the potential candidates, hopefully to 1. Names would
only be presented at the very end.

For example, in a paragraph, selecting style>big>bold  would close the
current
paragraph and section, open an new section, and open a heading element.
If the DTD only had one kind of heading, that would be the only choice.

>> Just like a coloured map, it would be great if all inline elements
were
>> associated with a font or style, and that I could use the style menus
>> to drill down to the allowed generic elements in context.
>
>Maps are for navigation, not data entry.

Finding an element type name is navigation, for data entry.

Rick Jelliffe

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)