   Re: DTD question

  • From: Ruth Bergman <Ruth@jpl.nasa.gov>
  • To: John Martin <John.Martin@ncmail.net>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 11:51:39 -0700

At 02:04 PM 7/1/1999 -0400, John Martin wrote:

>In a DTD, can I base the inclusion of an optional element on an
>attribute?  For example, I have:
>
><!ELEMENT NCSB-Message (Service-Version-Number, Service-Release-Number,
>Service-Completion-Code?, Service-Reason-Code?)>
><!ATTLIST NCSB-Message MESSAGE-TYPE (REQUEST | RESPONSE) #REQUIRED>

No.  I recall a previous discussion about this issue if you care to look it
up in the archives.  A possible solution is

<!ELEMENT NCSB-Message (Service-Version-Number, Service-Release-Number,
(REQUEST | RESPONSE))>
<!ELEMENT REQUEST (Service-Completion-Code, Service-Reason-Code)>
<!ELEMENT RESPONSE EMPTY>

Ruth.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest