   Re: XML for forms

  • From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 14:50:01 -0500

David Megginson wrote:

> The same problems exist with electronic forms whether or not they are
> presented on the screen so that they look like paper forms -- we're
> still stuck trying to figure out what to do with digital signatures,
> transaction logs, etc.

There is work going on in the New Mexico court system for enabling
attorneys to work with schedules in the local courts.
These rely on XML-based transactions.  Deatils and the
DTD are online.  I am home and do not have that URL.
It is particularly at the pass-points of heterogeneous
systems such as typify city and state operations that
XML can be applied.  Different pots of money procure these
systems, so selling a complete system to any area is
as much a matter of multiple customers under the same
roof as anything else.  Then there are the issues of
getting each nested venue to accept the standards for
passing the information.  At this time, the best work
is in the Federal area and there are large grants available
to municipalities who apply these standards.

Solving the security and authentication problems, and getting the
approval of the legislatures
to use this are the critical issues to using XML for so-called, public
safety systems.  Currently, we field an application, I-NetViewer to
enable privileged users access to the PS databases and to conduct a
restricted set of transactions. We would like to advance to use
of XML and are closely watching progress in the areas mentioned
above.  The food chain of information providers based on
standards such as NIBRS is very very large and very much in
need of the ability to use BeyondDelimitedASCII transports.
There are some challenges with the existing practices and applications
of relational systems (the usual drill or ricebowl and
entrenched vendors).

len

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest