   Re: PC Magazine: XML-RPC

  • From: "james@xmlTree.com" <james@xmltree.com>
  • To: "Nick Manson" <nmanson@livepage.com>,<xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 14:27:03 +0100

Nick and Don

I too have been looking into these specs over the last few days.

I think everything is centred at http://www.xml-rpc.com/

> 2) Are there any competing standards with XML-RPC?
See WDDX at http://wddx.org : designed for exchanging data sets / data structures between
client / server and server / server; commentary on integration with xml-rpc at
http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$2082
See LDO at http://www.ntlug.org/casbah/; commentary on bringing together with xml-rpc at
http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$2583

> > 1. Get a list of all the available methods and their signature
> > (i.e. args)?
See this discussion :
http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$2829

> > 2. Send XML fragments as an argument.
> > 3. Send and receive anonymous streams as argument and as result?
>From the spec, for the request:
If the procedure call has parameters, the <methodCall> must contain a <params> sub-item.

Scalar <value>s
<value>s can be scalars, type is indicated by nesting the value inside one of the tags
listed in this table:

Tag Type Example
<i4> or <int> four-byte signed integer -12
<boolean> 0 (false) or 1 (true) 1
<string> ASCII string hello world
<double> double-precision signed floating point number -12.214
<dateTime.iso8601> date/time 19980717T14:08:55
<base64> base64-encoded binary eW91IGNhbid0IHJlYWQgdGhpcyE=

For the response:
The body of the response is a single XML structure, a <methodResponse>, which can contain

xmlTree lists two xml-rpc interfaces at
http://www.xmltree.com/resource/detail.cfm/ContainerID/10/ResourceID/224 and at
http://www.xmltree.com/resource/detail.cfm/ContainerID/38/ResourceID/500

Hope this helps.