   Re: Headings: XML vs. XSL

  • From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@polaris.net>
  • To: John Martin <John.Martin@ncmail.net>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 14:43:47 -0400

At 02:02 PM 7/6/1999 -0400, John Martin wrote:
>Would I code my DTD [actually, your document!] as
><POLICY-EFFECTIVE>
><POLICY-EFFECTIVE-HEADING>Effective Date:</POLICY-EFFECTIVE-HEADING>
><POLICY-EFFECTIVE-DATE>July 1, 1999</POLICY-EFFECTIVE-DATE>
></POLICY-EFFECTIVE>
>
>Or would it be better/more efficient to code it as:
>
><POLICY-EFFECTIVE-DATE>July 1, 1999</POLICY-EFFECTIVE-DATE>
>
>and add the heading in with XSL.

It's kind of a toss-up, I think. One thing to consider, though, is that
your first choice will work as is (w/out XSL) with CSS1- and
partial-CSS2-compliant browsers which don't yet support CSS's
generated-text feature. The first choice also makes it easier to customize
headings which might vary by document instance; whether that's an issue
depends on your application.

John E. Simpson          | It's no disgrace t'be poor,
simpson@polaris.net      | but it might as well be.
                         |            -- "Kin" Hubbard

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest