   Re: XML and COBOL

  • From: Steven Marcus <srnm@yahoo.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 15:32:43 -0700 (PDT)

If you are running a relatively recent release of OS/390 (not
MVS) you can use an XML parser written in Java. IBM's java
parser is available at alphaworks.ibm.com and supports
EBCDIC<->Unicode conversions.

You can integrate your COBOL and Java environments thru the file
system bridge available with java-OS/390, or via DB/2. There may
be other ways of passing data between Java apps and COBOL but
someone else will have to speak up.

[Also, I have been told that OS/390 should support IBM's C++ XML
parser if you install the UNIX-compatibility services.]

Good luck!
Steven Marcus
Aware Technologies, Inc.