   RE: XSL implementation other than Java?

  • From: Matt Sergeant <matt.sergeant@bbc.co.uk>
  • To: "'Nicolas MONNET'" <nico@echange.fr>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 14:29:12 +0100

No. I thought maybe of starting to convert xmerge to a more XSL-like syntax,
but I've not really got enough tuits ATM, and xmerge probably isn't a strong
enough basis. Also, XSL (the full spec) requires a tree builder (rather than
a stream) - and it almost has to be DOM (although you can work around that
limitation - e.g. use XML::Grove instead - but that looks like a lot of
work). Besides - noone wants to invest the time in a moving spec. It's fine
for MS or Lotus to spend hours and hours working on it - they are getting
return on their investment probably (for MS it's people downloading IE and
using Windows, I don't know how Lotus expects to make money on theirs), but
for GPL developers it's a lot of work for little return. Besides - Perl's
DOM implementation is sadly very slow (due to the design of the DOM not
really fitting "the perl way"), so in accordance with that so would an
XML::XSL.

For windows users I've controlled MSXML quite happily from Perl - I posted a
simple module to do XSL transformations using this to the Perl-XML list a
while back.

There are also other options, like xmlperl (not 100% free though - there are
licensing issues with commercial users), and xmerge (part of XML::miniXQL),
and I'm sure other possibilities.

Matt.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest