   RE: XML for forms

  • From: "Barclay Blair" <barclay@uwi.com>
  • To: "John Cowan" <cowan@locke.ccil.org>, "XML Dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:17:12 -0700

John,

I agree that there is no reason that such a document cannot be
legally-binding, just as a will scratched in blood on a fence post CAN
be legally-binding.  However, in business we are generally concerned
with managing our risk as much as possible.  Therefore, having witnesses
at the signing of a contract, using notaries, lawyers, etc is a common
practice.

But, don't take my word for it, as a non-lawyer as well:

"Cohasset Associates believes there is a need to preserve as many elements
of the electronic transaction as possible, specifically, the complete
"visual presentation" of the transaction to the user. This will improve
significantly an organization’s ability to meet the tests of admissibility."

The full text is available at:

http://www.cohasset.com/comm_forms.html

Barclay

    Barclay Blair -- Industry Relations