   Re: XML trade off 1 - DTD vs XML Schema

  • From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 18:35:31 -0500

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> I'd say DTDs have at least another few years of active use in them.  I
> suspect (though it isn't certain) that while they're less powerful than
> schemas, they involve less processing as well.  For some situations, even
> 'non-legacy' ones, that may insure a very long life.

Since XML schemas and other parts of the standards start from an XML
DTD, I suspect they will live a while.  OTOH:

1.  Use is driven in part by tools and in part by the functionality
of tools (what do you need to do, what can you do that with).

2.  Use is driven by the availability of tools and ease of obtaining
them
(can i get them when I need them, can i afford to get them).

3.  Use is driven by what I know how to do or what I can learn in the
time available (do i know i need to know, do i know where to go to find
out).

A lot of the tools used in day to day industrial computer science are
downloaded from www.microsoft.com.  No flames; just a fact for many of
us.
As long as we need to use schemas for tasks such as loading a drop box,
can do that with the functions provided in the object model, can get
an implemented object model that does that for free, understand that
we can do that using an XML schema easily but not so easily with an
ISO 8879 DTD, and know that the tools and tutorials for doing that
can be found at www.microsoft.com or wherever our local environment
predisposes us to look, then I would say the odds of ISO
8879 DTDs development remaining a vital art for practicing markup
developers
are low.

Pity.  They are much easier to read.  Cool, OTOH, because I need the
added
functionality of the schemas.  Que sera.  Be attached to people;
not technologies.

len

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest