   RE: Separation of Content and Structure

  • From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
  • To: "'WorldNet'" <csgallagher@worldnet.att.net>, XML Developer <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:22:48 +0100

> may we consider the questions, "How might the relational
> database remain useful to content publishers when we are motivated to use
XML
> to separate content from structure"? and "What will become of the
> relational database"?

XML greatly increases the value of relational databases to content
publishers because it enables you to use an RDB to store objects that have a
less rigid structure than hitherto.

> Do any of those who have a command of the use of XML remain
> using relational databases and in which context as a development tool
might
> the relational database remain useful?

In any context where you have lots of small textual items with similar
structure, e.g. classified advertisements, holding these as XML documents
within a relational database is an ideal architecture.

Actually XML has enabled us to increase our use of relational databases and
abandon the use of object databases for this task.

Mike Kay

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)