   Preserving white space and entity references in DataChannel XJP

  • From: "Erik James Freed" <ejfreed@infocanvas.com>
  • To: "Xml-Dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:06:50 -0700

I am experiencing some strange behavior with the datachannel XML parser package (the most recent one).
In my reading of the DOM spec, this is not appropriate behavior, but perhaps I am missing something.

The behavior is that when I do a 'setPreserveWhiteSpace(true)' before parsing a document, and the document
contains strings with entity references such as:

    <element1> &lt; fubar &gt; </element1>

when I then do a getText() on element1, what is returned is a java.lang.String that contains a null (char 0) for each entity reference.

These nulls of course confound the rest of the code I am writing. In side the DOM tree the entity reference objects are happily holding the appropriate text representation  i.e. '<' and  '>'.

Turning off white space preservation makes the getText() place appropriate decoded entity references in the resulting string.

Bug or feature?

erik

Erik James Freed
InfoCanvas Software