   Re: RDF Sample, ICAO Airport Codes

  • From: "Jeff Greif" <jmg@trivida.com>
  • To: <david@megginson.com>,<xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:27:01 -0700

I'm not sure what the advantage of RDF is here, in comparison with using an
ordinary .xml file (changing rdf:about to a namespace declaration somewhere
and providing a DTD or XML Schema to specify an apt:Airport).  An airport is
a resource, so you might want a description of a bunch of them, but I'm
having trouble finding a context in which this is metadata, not data.  Is is
just that this is reference data perhaps useful to many xml-based apps, such
as weather reporting, flight schedules, a java applet that shows the
progress of a flight and its endpoints?  If so, would a table of cities and
zipcodes be similarly metadata?
Jeff