   Re: XML trade off 1 - DTD vs XML Schema

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 04:31:58 +0800

 From: JR Gardner <jgardner@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
 >This discussion is proving extremely important for our ongoing
development
>of XML writing and storage structures for academic research and
>publication.  I recall a URI a while back for an introductory article
on
>Schema's which would help to find for giving others a working knowledge
of
>the concept-- perhaps there is more than one such article-- online.

The first place you should look at is the new SOX 2 documentation at
http://www.w3.org/TR
It has a lot of very good ideas. Try to avoid the XML Schema draft
itself,
until you have a good grip on what is going on: it is liable to be
revised
substantially, as many drafts are.

I have written a book on structures "The SGML & XML Cookbook", ISBN
0-13-614223-0, which I think is very useful. I also have a series of
articles
on experimental schema ideas at
http://www.ascc.net/xml/en/utf-8/schema.html

Rick Jelliffe