   Re: sax - 2 - dom

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: "'listserv":"xml-dev list'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 08:39:25 -0700

Leigh Dodds wrote:

> > does anyone know if there are any java packages out there that offer
> > SAX-2-DOM conversions?  I am parsing my XML with the SAX interface, but
> > I need to read the majority of the xml into a DOM Document object for
> > creating my DOMTree, keeping track of modifications, and serializing my
> > Document back into an xml file.
>
> You could try John Cowan's DOM Parser (http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/XML/)
> which generate SAX events from a DOM tree. That way you can produce
> your DOM tree, and then carry out the SAX processing as a second stage.

Or mine, which also offers the SAX2 (alpha) extensions ... and also
includes some other SAX/DOM conversion utilities.  It also offers the
full set of SAX2 DTD and lexical callbacks, which can be useful if you
want a standardized way to get stuff like comment and CDATA nodes into
your DOM.  It's at the usual place (http://home.pacbell.net/david-b/xml).

There was a question, "why SAX if you're using DOM".  One answer is that
DOM isn't a parser API ... so if you need to apply parse-time intelligence
to modify (extend, minimizee, mutate, etc) the XML data as you parse it,
SAX is an appropriate tool.  Loading a huge document into DOM will bloat
your memory consumption and slow you down.  Trimming it into the right
small document as you parse it, and only storing the Good Stuff (tm) in
DOM, will often be preferable.

- Dave

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest