   Re: Linking (using embed) and XML Schema

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: "xml-dev@ic.ac.uk" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 12:39:48 -0400

At 11:41 AM 8/4/99 -0400, Roger L. Costello wrote:
>Thanks a lot Ron,
>
>I would like to push this issue (I think it's important).  Any advice on
>how to proceed?  Is there someone on the XLink committee (and/or the XML
>Schema committee) that I can send this issue to?  /Roger
>
>Ronald Bourret wrote:
>>
>> Roger L. Costello wrote:
>>
>> > Suppose that I have an XML document that is created by assembling XML
>> > data from various sources, using XML Link (with show="embed").  For
>> > example, we may create an XML document to show stock quotes, where the
>> > quotes are gotten from, say, three different sources.
>> >
>> > Such a document raises interesting questions with regards to the XML
>> > schema for that document.  Does the schema describe the structure of the
>> > document *after* the embeddding process has occurred (post-embed), or,
>> > does the schema describe the structure of the document *before* the
>> > embedding process has occurred (pre-embed)?
>>
>> Interesting question.  The schema specification does not answer it.
However, it is really a question for the XLink folks, as it applies to DTDs
as well as schemas. I doubt there is a simple answer, as both cases are
useful.

>> > Another interesting question is: can we specify (in the schema?) that
>> > the XML parser should validate the pre-embed version versus the
>> > post-embed version?
>>
>> Not currently.  Again, this might be a property of the link, not the
schema.

I pushed on this issue a few times in the XLink group and was consistently
told that XLink material wasn't genuinely 'embedded', only referenced, and
that it therefore had no impact on the target schema or style sheet.  While
I'm still not 100% convinced that this always makes sense, I'm at least 75%
there.  You might try the xlxp-dev list - archives at
http://www.fsc.fujitsu.com/hybrick/xlxp-dev/maillist.html.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer (2nd Ed - September)
Building XML Applications