   re: illegal namespace usage

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 18:00:03 -0400

At 05:23 PM 8/9/99 -0400, David Megginson wrote:
>For now, it's safest to think of Namespaces as an application layer on
>top of XML rather than part of XML itself.

I don't mind doing that; my main concern is that there is no specified
behavior for that layer.  I think we can make things up that sound
reasonable, but we're making things up.

>In fact, that distinction probably won't last for long -- the current
>public XSL and Infoset working drafts, to give only two of many
>possible examples, treat Namespaces as an integral part of XML, and if
>there ever is an XML 1.1 or an XML 2.0, I'd be surprised not to see
>Namespaces in it (together with Infoset).

That might finally clear up some of the harder problems...

I've concluded that namespaces itself is a great idea.  I've also concluded
that integrating it with XML 1.0 in any reliable way is pretty much
impossible.  So anything that gives that integration a good hard look and
knocks it together is a great idea, even if it does put my books out of date.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer (2nd Ed - September)
Building XML Applications
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies