   RE: Images in XML

  • From: "Heikki Toivonen" <heikki@citec.fi>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:29:23 +0300

> This is my first posting. I have a image to be attached to the XML
> document.
> 1. How do I do it?

Do you want to know how to show an image in XML document? I'll show two
ways:

a) The "SGML-way"

<!DOCTYPE foo [
<!NOTATION GIF SYSTEM> <!-- Let's suppose GIF format-->
<!ENTITY mypic SYSTEM "foo.gif" NDATA GIF>
<!ELEMENT foo (graphic)>
<!ELEMENT graphic EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST graphic
          entity ENTITY #REQUIRED

]>
<foo>
<graphic entity="mypic"/>
</foo>

b) The "namespace-way", use HTML IMG tag

          src="foo.gif" width="100" height="100"/>

Both of the above ways work in DocZilla (http://www.doczilla.com), only
option b) works in the Mozilla browser (http://www.mozilla.org). As to other
browsers, I do not know...

> When I move the mouse over the image the size should vary. How is this
> possible without refreshing the window?

Uh, you can't change what the screen looks like if you can't refresh the
window.

But depending on browser, you should be able to modify the document with a
scripting language (for example JavaScript) via the Document Object Model
(DOM). Just change the element displaying the image so that it refers to
another image with different size. Hopefully the browser is programmed so
that it does not need to reread the whole document nor reflow/repaint the
whole document/window. It would still be necessary to repaint the part where
your image was shown and if the change in size affected other parts repaint
those as well.

But I am kinda suspecting this was not what you were looking for. I'd
suggest you browse the web and when you see something that looks like what
you want, check how it was done and copy that if possible.

--
  Heikki Toivonen
  http://www.doczilla.com

(un)subscribe xml-dev