   Re: Declarative constraints for XML documents

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 18:59:06 +0800

 From: Arnold, Curt <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>

> Mike Spreitzer wrote:
> >>Declarative constraints are what schemas are for!

> The thread has followed a little convoluted path since I posted my
original
> query.  The original query was primarily targeted to currently available
> technologies to solve the specific problem, however I agree with you that
> the fundamental intention does fall under the requirements in the Schema
> working group and that the Schema would be an ideal place to express these
> constraints.

Your original question asked whether XSL could be used to express
constraints.
I have an article on this subject "Using XSL as a Validation Language" at
http://www.ascc.net/xml/en/utf-8/XSLvalidation.html.  The specifics in the
article
are out-of-date with the current XSL draft, because the article is about 7
months
old now.

For general discussion articles on the kinds of constraints you are are
talking about,
there are several articles at http://www.ascc.net/xml/en/utf-8/schemas.html
Since you bring up "Facets", you may be interested in the notes:
    * Axis Models & Path Models: Extending DTDs with XPaths
    * Validate This! Content Models on Different Targets
    * Richer Anonymous Content Types

So far, the W3C Schema draft does not look at any kind of extended
information.

Rick Jelliffe
Academia Sinica Computing Centre
Taipei, Taiwan.