   Abuse of XML checker

  • From: Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:53:20 +0100 (BST)

This is somewhat off-topic, but I know some other people on this list
have similar services that may be being abused.

I noticed in the logs for my XML checker numerous, regular, entries
like this:

tide74.microsoft.com - - [24/Aug/1999:10:17:46 +0100] "GET /%7Erichard/xml-
check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.clicktrade.com%2Ftracker%2Ftracker.dll%3F
to%3D%27http%3A%2F%2Fwww.callback4u.com%2F%27%26ad%3D73100.0%26lp%3D221944
HTTP/1.0" 200 417

What seems to be happening is that someone is using the checker to
fetch advertising pages which they presumably get paid for accesses to.

I've mailed abuse@microsoft.com and abuse@clicktrade.com, but have had
only pro forma replies from Microsoft and nothing from Clicktrade.

I'll be adding some filtering to my cgi script; other people with
web pages that fetch arbitrary URLs may want to do the same.

-- Richard

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)