   is this an expat BUG?

  • From: "Florin Popescu" <florin_popescu@nl.compuware.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:57:37 +0200

Hi All,

I have the following scenario:

I have in a database field some C code:

Ex:
        if(u->stream)
        {
            break;
            u->stream=NULL;
        }

>From this database I create an XML export file.

My first question: Do I have to escape all CR in order to keep the
information consistent?

Ex:
        if(u->stream)&#13;
        {&#13;
		break;&#13;
            u->stream=NULL;&#13;
        }&#13;

or I can live those "&#13;" out?

I use jclark EXPAT to parse back in the database the XML file after I edit
it.

If I do not use &#13; the parser will return all the lines in one long
string skipping all the CR-s. In my opinion
this should be correct according with WC3 specifications (ignore al CR,LF,
tabs and trailing spaces) (????).

But the problem comes when I use TABS. The parser stops returning "9" (via
dataHandler()) in both situations:
1. Normal tab (9)
2. Escaped tab (&#9;)

Ex:
if(u->stream)&#13;
{&#13;
	break;&#13;
	u->stream=NULL;&#13;
}&#13;

is the same like
if(u->stream)&#13;
{&#13;
&#9;break;&#13;
&#9;u->stream=NULL;&#13;
}&#13;

Is this a BUG? I was expecting that the parser will ignore the normal TAB
and will return "9" only in the escaped situation, in the same way like it
treats CR-s.

Pls. let me know where I am wrong or if this is a known bug.

Regards,
Florin

Florin

(un)subscribe xml-dev