   RE: Searching XML

  • From: Mark Birbeck <Mark.Birbeck@iedigital.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:12:37 +0100

Depends on the complexity of your XML. If it's fairly flat then a nice
'cheap and cheerful' method is to convert each XML document into an HTML
version with all the relevant info in META tags. Then use standard
indexing software. When you do a search, instead of returning the HTML
file found, return the XML one that it is a place-holder for.

Although it's a poor relation to properly indexing XML files, it does
mean that when you get an index server that can handle XML your project
structure won't change a lot.

Best regards,

Mark

mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk