   Re: How about over 1,000,000 XHTML Namespace URIs?

  • From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 15:08:04 -0700

As someone said (and it wasn't Bill Joy who said it first,
despite what someone said here the other day!) there are
only three interesting numbers in computer science:  zero,
one, and many (including an infinity).

If the XHTML WG doesn't want one namespace (like us rational
folk on this list :-), and we don't like to see an unbounded
number of namespace IDs ...

Perhaps the right answer is zero:  just take the namespace
URI out of the XHTML spec completely.

- Dave

p.s. I think the actual formula is a bit less than N-squared;
    N, plus N-1 combinations of the namespaces that are "all
    but one of them", and so on.  Regardless of what the real
    formula is, it's clearly a nonlinear growth.