   RE: RFP: Namespace URI for HTML

  • From: Marc.McDonald@Design-Intelligence.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk, schnitz@overflow.de
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 15:11:45 -0700

But an HTML processor is supposed to accept a well-formed document and
gracefully ignore unknown elements (actually treat them as text). So, what
happens when your cellphone microbrowser gets a frameset document instead of
a strict document? Does it just put up an error box and show nothing? How
does a non-validating parser ensure a document is frameset or strict?

Namespaces do not define the set of valid names, they only allow
differentiation. Without validation there is no enforcement that a document
is strict, frameset or transitional. Since the namespace declaration has no
enforced meaning, why bother with it?

The only reason I've seen presented is fragments. BUT, there is a fragments
working group, why not let them find a general solution to the problem? Why
are you usurping their authority?

Marc B. McDonald
Principal Software Scientist

Design Intelligence, Inc.