   Re: Groves, the next big thing (Re: ANN: XML and Databases article)

  • From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:57:51 -0400 (EDT)

schen@falconwing.com scripsit:

> In my mind it's not much more than a more rigorous definition of the XML
> data model, with the potential application to other data models.  Maybe
> what we need is something between DOM and full-fledged groves.  Just as
> XML is taking off as a simpler version of SGML, how about a simplified
> version of groves?

That is just what the XML Infoset WD is all about.  There is no problem
with expressing the XML Infoset as a grove, and the only reason it
isn't going to be in the WD is that I don't know how.  I do know how
to do RDF schemas, so there will be one of those instead.

AFAIK the Infoset meets the grove object model: there are objecdts with
properties, some string-, integer-, or boolean-valued; other properties
are either ordered or unordered lists of other objects.
Does the grove model capture the difference between ordered and
unordered lists directly, or does that require extra properties?

       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)