   RE: Statement from HTML WG

  • From: Marc.McDonald@Design-Intelligence.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk, ann@webgeek.com
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:25:44 -0700

Steve Pemberton wrote:

> Since we were getting different messages from the XML Community, we
> also asked the XML Plenary group to discuss the issue. This (long)
> discussion starts at
> [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-plenary/1999Jul/0017.html].
> (See the end of this document for some selections.) The result of these
> discussions seems to show that there isn't consensus on the issue,
> with people arguing quite strongly for both positions.

	Nice to have a reference, but we non-w3C members can't reference the
document. So I have no description of these use cases that justify 3
namespaces. I got a password request on access. The only example given in
the mail is the including XHTML in XML documents which doesn't justify 3
namespaces at all.

> However, the HTML WG is not bound irrevocably to three namespaces. We
> want XHTML to be a good XML citizen, and if the consensus of the XML
> community is that the 3-namespace use-cases are not important and can
> reasonably be ignored, we are willing to go with that consensus.

	Nice to hear this, which appears to be opposite of what had
previously been implied.

> Marc B. McDonald
> Principal Software Scientist
>
> Design Intelligence, Inc.