   Re: SAX C/C++ Implementations?

  • From: <mlepage@antimeta.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:53:51 -0400

On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 04:29:59PM -0400, David Megginson wrote:
> <mlepage@antimeta.com> writes:
> > Oh, I forgot to ask: how do you cope with the fact that Expat is
> > licensed as MPL/GPL?
> That's a problem only if you make modifications to Expat itself and
> you want to redistribute the modified Expat but keep your
> modifications closed-source -- an extremely rare situation, I'd guess.
> Simply using an open-source library doesn't force your app to be
> open-source as well; at worst, you might need to stick the Expat
> source code in a zip file somewhere on your CD.

My understanding is, if you use GPL source without GPLing your code, you are in violation of the license. You can, however, use a GPL'd program, provided you don't link to it, and you provide the source. It is the LGPL that allows you to link to the library. I am not aware of any way to use GPL'd source without GPLing your own source, save not releasing at all.

If this is true, then my understanding is wrong.

Marc Lepage  (aka SEGV)
RTS game programming info, Minion open source game, etc.