   RE: Dissillusioned about interoperability.

  • From: "Erik James Freed" <ejfreed@infocanvas.com>
  • To: "xml-dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 21:18:15 -0700

As for part of your problem: When you create an interface that has multiple
syntactic constructs with redundant (non-orthoganal) semantics you pretty
much guarantee frustrating extra work in designing, implementing,
documenting, using, and maintaining that interface for all direct and
indirect users of that interface for all time. Attributes in XML are a
canonical example of this.

The other parts of your problems such as using 'object' as a element name
sound much more like bad design (got to live with it) or some extenuating
circumstances not presented in your example.

I promise I will not whine about attributes in XML
I promise I will not whine about attributes in XML
I promise I will not whine about attributes in XML
I promise I will not whine about attributes in XML
I promise I will not whine about attributes in XML
I promise I will not whine about attributes in XML

erik