   IBM xml4j parser vs. Datachannel

  • From: "Mike Lepley" <mlepley@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:39:26 -0400

At our firm we are considering using the XML4j parser.
The XML4j parser has gotten some excellent reviews.
That is why I cannot understand the test results that I've done myself.

For example:

IBM XML4j
---------
                           Time to
File size  |  Tags  | visit all
--------------------------------
3kb           100        .55s
2,229kb       7000       8.51s
6,368         20000      115.29s

and the Datachannel

Datachannel
-----------
                           Time to
File size  |  Tags  | visit all
-------------------------------
3kb           100       .13
2,229kb       7000      2.99s
6,368kb       20000     9.76s

And I have many more data points all the way to a 10MB file.

Has anyone else experienced such poor results with the IBM parser?
Why is there such a difference?  I've included my sample code for the XML4j
parser.

Thanks in advance!
Mike

---------------------------------

import java.io.*;
import java.net.*;

import com.ibm.xml.parsers.*;   // For the IBM Parser stuff

import org.w3c.dom.Attr;
import org.w3c.dom.Document;
import org.w3c.dom.NamedNodeMap;
import org.w3c.dom.Node;    // The W3C definition of a node
import org.w3c.dom.NodeList;

public class DOMibm4j
{
   int ELEMENT_NODE = 1;
   public static String szText = "";

   Document doc;

   public DOMibm4j (String file, String sch /**, RichEdit re */)
   {
   try

   com.ibm.xml.parsers.DOMParser parser =
   new com.ibm.xml.parsers.DOMParser ();

   parser.setValidating (false);
         parser.parse (file + ".x");

   doc = parser.getDocument ();
      }
      catch (Exception e)
      {
         e.printStackTrace();
         return;
   }

      // Let's loop through all the nodes and look at them...

      for (int i=0; i < doc.getChildNodes().getLength (); i++)
      {
         Visit (doc.getChildNodes ().item(i), 0);
      }
   }

   public void Visit (Node node, int spaces)
   {
      // Recursively visits every node under this top node

      // Make sure that it's not an attribute or CDATA or processing
instruction, etc.

      if (node.getNodeType () == ELEMENT_NODE)
      {
         int length = node.getChildNodes().getLength ();
         for (int i=0; i < length; i++) { Visit
(node.getChildNodes().item(i), spaces+5); }
      }
   }
}