   Re: scripts and PIs

  • From: "Eve L. Maler" <elm@arbortext.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 06:47:47 -0400

At 03:17 PM 10/15/99 +0800, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>                    Element   PI     Attribute
>-----------------  --------  ------ ---------
>Push/pull          Push      Push   Pull
>effect/structure   structure effect structure

This is a very useful matrix; it explains neatly something I've been trying
to articulate about XML processing.  It's pretty harmless to add attributes
to a document, because "by default" they don't get used in the output
stream, but for formatting, elements must all be "consumed" somewhere by
default.  For data-oriented processing, everything seems to be pull, though.

By the way, the main reason why we changed the closing delimiter of SGML
PIs from > to ?> in creating XML was to make PIs safer for containing
scripting and code.  It's pretty common to have the string ">" appear in
scripting, but (we hoped) far less common to have "?>".  Besides, it made
it more symmetrical...

         Eve