   Re: Query on a range of values - any tools?

  • From: "Ken North" <ken_north@compuserve.com>
  • To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:21:30 -0700

Roger L. Costello wrote:

> Has anyone created a query tool to allow querying on a range of values?
> For example, if an XML document contains map data, including latitudes
> and longitudes, I would like to be able to query for all data within a
> certain lat/lon range.

(Synchronicity -- we just covered this last week at XML One.)

Range searching and queries over geospatial data are two important benefits
of using an object-relational database DBMS to manage XML collections. You
can do SQL queries, and even apply range constraints before inserting data.
Take a look at Oracle, Informix, IBM DB2.

Software AG just shipped Tamino this month. It can compose XML documents by
integrating data from disparate sources, including SQL data sources.
Presumably it also supports range searching.