   xml Newbie : How to write to xml file

  • From: Prashant Walke <prashantwalke@usa.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: 16 Oct 99 06:05:23 MDT

Hello,
I have some basic doubt in xml because of which I am stuct up
like I am displaying xml file in html using DOM and I get
the proper view of my data in the browser(IE5) now I want
to accept new values  from the user in that page,
for eg. new customer order and add it should add to the existing
customer order value(xml data) displayed in that page on click
of a button , I tried writing the function like this

 function changeOrder(order) {
   var orderElements = quot.getElementsByTagName("order");
   var i;
   for(i=0; i < orderElements.length; i++ ) {
	var oldORDER =
parseFloat(orderElements.item(i).firstChild.nodeValue);
       var newORDER = oldORDER + order;
	newORDER_Node = quot.createTextNode(newORDER);
orderElements.item(i).replaceChild(newORDER_Node,
orderElements.item(i).firstChild);
 }
}

<BODY>
<H2>XML CONTENT NET Application </H2>
<XML ID="quot" src = "cat.xml"></XML>
<SCRIPT>
  var root = quot.documentElement;
  output_doc(root);
</SCRIPT>
<HR>
<P>
<FORM>
Enter new Custmer Order : <input type = text name = "new_CO" MAXLENGTH="7">

<P>
<input type = button name = "submit_But" value = "Update Price"
onClick="changeOrder(new_CO.value)">
</FORM>
</BODY>

But nothing seeems to be working , I would like to to know how can
we write to xml files ?

Thanks in advance,
Prashant